Saturday, December 31, 2011

Necessary Rules of Sentence Correction and Correct form of verbs - Part 1


Necessary Rules of Sentence Correction and Correct form of verbs 


Rule 1:
Subject  + Either of / Neither of/ Each Of / One of  + Plural - Noun / Pronoun + Singular Verb
Either of the boys has done this
Each of the girls is joining the Picnic
Neither of you is a good


Rule2:
As well as - এবং
Along with - সাথে
Accompanied by – সাথে
এগুলি যখন দুটি subject এর সাথে ব্যাবহৃত হয় তখন প্রথম subject অনুসারে verb নির্ধারিত হয়।
He as well as his friends is selfish 



Rule3:
Either – or / Neither – nor / Not only – but also
এগুলি যখন দুটি subject এর সাথে ব্যাবহৃত হয়, তখন ২য় subject অনুসারে verb বসে।
Either you or he has done this work.


Neither you nor I am guilty.


Rule4:
Both + Noun / Pronoun + and + Noun / Pronoun + Plural verb
Both Bangladesh and India are the members of SAARC
Both you and I were present yesterday


Rule 5:
Both of + Plural Noun/Pronoun + Plural Verb
Both of them are responsible for this.


Rule 6:
A number of + Plural Noun + Plural verb 
A number of students are going to the class 


Rule7:
The number of + Plural noun + Singular verb
The number of students is increasing day by day
The number of days in a week is seven


Rule 8:
There + is / was + singular noun
There is a man at the door
There was a book on the table


Rule 9:
There + are/were + plural noun
There are some boys in the field
There were a few students in the class yesterday


Rule 10:
It is high time / It is time + subject + simple past tense
It is high time you learnt English 
It is time we worked hard


Rule 11:
Subject + simple past + so that + sub + can + present form of verb
She studied hard so that she can pass the exam

Rule 12:
Subject + simple past + so that + sub + could + present form of verb
I walked past so that I could catch the bus


Rule 13:
Subject + Be verb + too + Adjective + Infinitive (to+verb)
(ব্যাক্তি বুঝাতে এবং Negetive অর্থ দিতে)
The man is too weak to walk
The boy is too lazy to work
She is too weak to speak


Rule14:
Subject + Be verb + too + Adjective + for noun/pronoun + infinitive (to+verb)
The tea is too hot for me to drink
The house is too costly for me to buy


Rule15:
Subject + Transitive Verb + Object + Present participle
I saw the boy playing
I saw my friend walking in the field


Rule 16:
Subject + be verb + Adjective + Enough + Infinitive (to + verb)
The man is rich enough to buy a car
The boy is intelligent enough to understand the question


Rule 17:
Sub + Be verb + so + Adjective + that + subject + cannot/could not + verb এর present form
The man is so weak that he cannot walk.
The question was so difficult that we could not answer it  


Rule 18:
I wish + subject + were + Noun/Pronoun + adjective/adverb
I wish I were a bird
I wish I were you
I wish he were clever
I wish you were here


Rule 19:
I wish + subject + could + present form of verb
I wish I could go there
I wish I could help you
I wish he could win the match


Rule 20:
 I wish + subject + had + noun(বস্তুবাচক)
I wish I had a laptop
I wish I had a car


Rule 21:
Subject + prefer + noun/pronoun + to + noun/pronoun
I prefer tea to coffee
She prefers singing to dancing
The teacher prefers writing to dictating 


Rule 22:
Subject + cannot/couldnot + but + present form of verb
I cannot but laugh
I could not but go there


Rule 23:
Subject + cannot/couldn’t +help + gerund 
I cannot help laughing 
I couldn’t help going there


Rule24:
Subject + know + how to + present form of verb
He knows how to drive a car
I do not know how to swim


Rule 25:
Many a + singular noun + singular verb (he এর পরে যে verb বসে)
Many a girl is going on ther study tour


Author:
Md. Nourozur Rahaman
BCS(General Education)
Assistant Professor of English
Narayanganj Government Women’s College
   Examiner of National University                                             
  Contact:House No. GP(Ja)-96(Ground floor)
            Wireless Gate, Mohakhali, Dhaka-1212
         (Behind Hotel Zakaria, Madrasha Lane)
            Mobile: 01715376235 


1 comment:

  1. Lilac told me that she did not intend to have an accounting major. check my sentence

    ReplyDelete

css snippet for blogger code highlighting

code, .code {     display: block;     background: beige;     padding: 10px;     margin: 8px 15px; }